Just Saying

 

 


 

My sister (Angela Bailey) was a three time Olympian, she would of been a four time Olympian if Canada didn't boycott the Russian Olympics in 1980, when the Summer Olympics were held in Moscow. This was in response to the Soviet Union's invasion of Afghanistan in December 1979. The boycott was led by U.S. President Jimmy Carter, and several other countries, including Canada, joined the boycott in protest of the Soviet Union's actions. 

However, Angela (My Late sister passed in 2021) had the opportunity to attend three Olympics during her life time, one before Russian boycott; that was the Montreal Olympics of 1976 She was selected to be a member of the Canadian track and field team and competed in the 4x100 meters relay event. My sister was just 16 years old at the time, making her one of the youngest athletes to compete in the Olympics. Then represented Canada at the  - 1984 Summer Olympics: Held in Los Angeles, California and the 1988 Summer Olympics: Held in Seoul, South Korea. Just a short history of my sister's presence at the elite level of track and field to give this post and blog some firm base and context. 

 Just For Readers

During my sister's journey many things unfolded that I will be posting between these posts on this blog and Yokefellow Athletics blog that I haven't had much time for in the past year. Due to the attractiveness and potential of Sprint Battle it has drawn my attention. One big thing I've come to recognize more in the last year it's a challenge to get athletes and the general public to see that sprinting with the right format can stand and thrive outside of track and field. 

 

 


This blog is to bring to the forefront the ideal market situation sprinting is in and breakaway from the limited mentality and opportunity track and field has provided over its existence.  My position in the track industry as an outsider and taking into consideration conversations I have had with athletes to establish a sprint circuit, league or competition outside of track and field is like pie in the sky. 

There are so many things in life I've come across that hampers people or people are okay with being complacent. This is one of the reasons I believe I can never be poor because, God has given me a spirit of adaptability and creativity. I'm good with challenging the norm or the unfairness of society... we only live once so, let make a difference of positive change. I'm going to do a post on complacency and change very soon because, I believe there is something in there to be learnt and applied in my vision to bring new initiatives into a sprint industry. 


What will it take for athletes and the market to see sprinting as a mainstream sport?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sprint Battle the Begining Again!

The Challenge

Sprinting as an Industry